This year I am writing a novel.
I don’t know much about editing but eventually this journey is going to reach that stage! I am thinking that some initial things to look for when I start editing are:
- Character consistency
- Tense – I had initial found myself writing in the past tense but decided that present tense works better
- Spelling and grammar
- Plot flaws and loose ends
- Being overly wordy
- Hmm, what else??
Some tips that other writers have shared:
- Shelf it for a bit so it can be looked at with fresh eyes
- Read it out loud
- At some point do a line by line edit
- An edit on a paper draft. Do you edit on a paper draft or on screen?
My idea going into editing is basically re-read, re-read, and re-read!
Do you have any editing tips to share”
By Shari Marshall – 2021